Sunday, October 06, 2013

erase that wall

image by crilleb50
what secret do the clocks hide-
last I looked they blinked at me
such clever gesture on their part
I want to look at the stars 
but I look down hiding my face
where will I nest in my twilight years
time does not let me know
hour hand of one of the clocks has swept away the cobwebs

I am now a basket case
my flesh ripe for picking
think what you may
I cannot leave the cliches to chance
don't let it be said
I saw all and never conquered

"the weeds will die under my walking stick
I would be left here, my bio carved in stone"



17 comments:

Sabra Bowers said...

Haunting poem. I think a lot of us ask, "where will I nest in my twilight years?"

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I definitely relate to this......my twilight years are nigh and I am still asking that question!

Vandana Sharma said...

Contemplation

daphnepurpus said...

I really relate to this beautiful haunting poem!

christopher said...

I am in my twilight years, no doubt. I have found a basement.

ZQ said...

:-)
ZQ

Old Egg said...

Better perhaps to say "I saw all but did no harm". When I look back on life I hope my ticks of approval outweigh my crosses. Don't worry about the weeds they are resilient. Perhaps your walking stick will prod us into understanding

Kathe W. said...

a basket case???? I think not my friend! You will survive!!!

Susan said...

I wonder myself. But let's celebrate this poem which starts with so much life event the clocks are flirting, blinking, obscuring what time is.

Helen said...

Thought provoking ... very nice.

Susan Anderson said...

Well conceived and well worth thinking about.

=)

Tess Kincaid said...

Never leave the cliches to chance...love that...

Anonymous said...

I love this, your use of language is brilliant and fantastical

Silent Otto said...

Reminds me of Simone De Beauvoirs book, " all men are mortal "- Thanks Gautami

Suzy said...

Where will I nest in my twilight years - that question crosses my mind now and then. If I ponder too long it gets to scary. thought provoking poem.

ninotaziz said...

I saw all and never conquered…

A reminder how mortal we are...

Beachanny said...

Precise language and beautifully written. Enjoyed it very much.