Friday, January 09, 2009

setting about a routine

Writing comes fairly easy for me, especially poetry. Most of the times, I do it unthinkingly, some inkling of what I am going to write coming out of virtually nowhere from the recesses of my mind. It might seem strange as most know that I am a teacher, a mathematics teacher at that, who needs to discipline herself according to the demands of her subject. But when it comes to poetry, no rule is followed. Everything just goes haywire and my minds simply commands me to write. Many might relate to that. And a few might not. That's because some plan their wriing very meticulously. At times I do envy them, at others I simply do what my heart and mind tell me to. Yes, many a times, my heart takes over my writing, giving head a rest.

How do I talk about fresh start in this new year? For me each moment is new, which allows us to renew the way we wish to. Making concrete plan was never one of my virtues, not when it comes to writing. All I know that I need to write everyday, timing does not matter. I usually write from a different perspective of what others thing. I think out of the box. I can't restraint myself in any way, nor in writing or reading. Just as we need healthy food to nurture our bodies, we need diverse, varied thoughts to enrich our mind. Those act as organic food for the well being of our whole body. A healthy mind is the first step towards a healthy body, is it not?


Making resolutions about my writing goals is not really feasible for me. I don't know where it will take me. All I can truly achieve is by writing everyday, which I do. I simply pen down my random thoughts in a prose form in my journal, which might or might not turn into a verse. I am much nearer to stream of consciousness writing. In a way, I thrive in it. That kind of compels me to exercise my brain.
Concrete images are very good but those which conjures up different ones, taking us to other directions is what I succeed. No one can always be a good writer. So I don't claim to be one.

Many a times, power of imagination is just round the corner, propelling me to write, to give my best. And that is not only in writing, that can for anything, everything. As I alway say to myself, winning over oneself is what I want. Not over any other human being. The ego has no place in my world. Striving to do my best is what I truly wish for, truly desire. It hardly matters if it is 2009 or any year. What matters is, each moment.


28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so wish I was more like you. I was a Maths teacher like you but there the similarity ends. I have to make a lot of effort in order to kick start my writing.

Anonymous said...

i am more of a stream of consciousness writer too. i do envy the poets who can work and rework a piece, and end up with a really fleshed out final product. but, i think i do good for what i do. i can definitely relate to this post.. writing with my heart.. thanks for sharing your process.

polona said...

i'm terribly bad at getting organised and hate resolutions.
either it's there or it isn't. i can't really force it into being...

Serena said...

Thanks for posting this...my resolutions will be weekly...I hope to have a routine out of it by the end of 3 months.

Beau Brackish said...

I envy your organizational skills. Stray thoughts come to me frequently but I often have no place to store them. I scribble ideas down on a post-it, which I fold awkwardly and cram into the buried recesses of my wallet. For me, it is a conscious effort to allow my subconscious to take flight and guide me wherever those thoughts may guide me.

Anonymous said...

thank you g... that is a beautifulpost ... thatz whaz so exquisite abt writing no rules.. i love the fact that sentences can be any form of expression regardless of punctuation or form... sometimes it is lovely to write a poem story and leave it just as it is... then again to write and leave it, then come back and caress the words with a different hand... freedom is truly in the eye of the beholder, yes, no??

anthonynorth said...

I class myself as an impulsive writer, meaning ideas just come. Formalising the craft is difficult for me. If there's something I'm not totally into writing, it's hard work. But get that impulse - which comes a lot - and off I go.
We sound very similar - especially as in all other areas of life I'm quite rational, organised and reasoned.

Becca said...

"Just as we need healthy food to nurture our bodies, we need diverse, varied thoughts to enrich our mind. Those act as organic food for the well being of our whole body."

This is a superb thought, Gautami, and perfectly expresses! I'm always impressed with the way you have the balance in your life of creative and practical pursuits and interests. You are very well rounded!

Tumblewords: said...

Good post! I'm not so inclined for goaling or forming - mostly just write as it happens when a word or phrase catches my mind. I rarely rewrite - Sometimes I promise to do things differently, but I continue down the same haphazard scattered path. I like the way you put your words together in this piece -

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I need to think this way. Thanks.

Whitesnake said...

And ya spelling needs attention......

Devika Jyothi said...

Good read, Gautami..

"stream of consciousness"-
reminded of Virginia Woolf, the master of the art and technique and my all time favourite....

i try to attempt -- But its so difficult...Mrs. Dalloway -- a novel based on just a day of her life...connecting characters on the street, who are otherwise in no way connected...

I love experimenting the technique...will keep coming to read :)

wishes,
devika

latree said...

I just lost my passion in writing lately. I was so mad of a thing and I did a stupid thing, deleted my half finished novel... :((
I stop writing in my 'writing blog' which I do in Indonesian.
now I'm trying to cheer up my self by giving most of my blogging attention to my 'family-blog'.

I have a give away that blog Dandelion

Lorraine said...

MMM I like this, I like the way you write, personally I write to breathe ;)

Sherri B. said...

I love this post...you have definitely given me 'food for thought'. :~)

I find that my heart and mind often collide with each other when writing -- my heart speaks with raw honesty, and then my mind wants to take over and tidy everything up. Oftentimes, it ruins the poem...a frustrating and ongoing challenge!

Jeanie said...

When you wrote this:

For me each moment is new, which allows us to renew the way we wish to.

I thought -- Wow. That's it. That's the way we should all be. That's a sentence I will carry around with me. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

It may surprise you to know that most people with mathematical minds are very creative writers and poets. I think it is the understanding of balancing things out that a mathematician is trained to observe and maintain in their subject that helps in creating well-balanced pieces of literature :)

Linda Jacobs said...

I love the connection between writing and organic. I never thought of it this way but you are so right!

Roan said...

Words to live by, "Just as we need healthy food to nurture our bodies, we need diverse, varied thoughts to enrich our mind." Great use of the prompt.

Keshi said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

yes its not in the YEARS...its in the MOMENTS. Well-said there!

Keshi.

Anonymous said...

For me, a combination of the planned and spontaneous used to work best.

So I'd always have a notepad by my bedside and in the glovebox of my car. Also, a great deal of what I've written just popped into mind when I was jogging, which I did every other morning around dawn, a beautiful time to be up.

But I also sat myself down to write almost every morning. Basically I was processing/editing the stuff that came to me spontaneously - and in doing that, more things would often come to mind spontaneously at my writing table.

The fact that I never had "writer's block" must have resulted from how well this approach worked for me.

gautami tripathy said...

Paul, I am very honoured by your visit. As you know by my email, I have been very worried about you. I missed your posts. Good to know your ok, under the circumstances.

Like you, I don't know anything about Writer's blog. I just write. Anything. Everything.

Be well, Paul.

You also know, I hardly ever answer to any comments. But for you and couple of others, I make an exception. You know the other two.

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed each of your writings, you do have a gift of words and expression. Thanks.

linda may said...

Very good post but I don't think I am in your league as far as writing goes. For me it is just a creative outlet and entertainment. I liked a lot of what you said. You are a clever writer.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gautami,
It's your amazing imagination that makes you so special!
Andy

Anonymous said...

hey gautami!!
really nice...
i like the way you put your thoughts together.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Gautami. Thank you so much for visiting and for writing this blog on how you write. Your musings on New Year's resolutions inspire me. Though I am far from home and sleep in a different place nearly every week, each morning begins with writing. I am working on revision, like following a path when I do not know the outcome. Some days go well, but each is as you say, a letting go to intuitively go deeper into the writing. May your writing and the New Year go well. Beth

Bone said...

I love those thoughts, Gautami.

I sort of made a silent resolution to myself to write more than ever, and wound up writing less.

I think writing every day is a great habit.