Monday, April 07, 2008

wicked witch-----Read Write Poem/Monday Poetry Train




"aunts are ever so old who love you and pet you"


hearing my nephew say that I saw red
old? Was I old?
indulgent?
a favourite aunt of five kids

wish I was a wicked aunt
who could turn you back into those
small wee kids
lovable and loving

but, I wouldn't change a thing
not you, not me
I can still feel the thrill
of being an aunt for the first time

love is too mild a word
to explain away my feelings
for all of you, my sweet nieces
my lanky nephews

blessed I was five times
go ahead and say it over again and again-
"aunts are ever so old who love you and pet you-
I bet, you don't feel that way about me"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come ride the
Poetry Train...


17 comments:

Jeremiah's House said...

Gautami, very nice auto-biographical take on the prompt. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

I really like this, gautami, both for the way the poem flows, and for the feelings it describes. Not all aunts are as involved with their neices and nephews as the aunt in this poem, you! I love the repetition of the boy's statement, becoming the refrain of the poem.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I love these two lines:

'for all of you, my sweet nieces
my lanky nephews'

I get an immediate sense of them in just six words. It's funny to think of being 'old' now, but being an aunt is the beautiful gift we get because of it!

Jessica said...

This is great -- I love the lanky nephews!

Anonymous said...

Oh, very nice, Gautami!
Makes me think of all my nephews, once so tiny and now they all tower over me!
Well done and very sweet!
:)

Linda Jacobs said...

This is huge with love!

Anonymous said...

I love being an aunt

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

That's such a different reaction to mine when I was in a similar place, it makes me long for things to be different.

And no, you're not old.

paisley said...

well of course they don't....

Unknown said...

:D

Ann said...

Great poem. Those kids are lucky to have an aunt like you. :)

Deb said...

Delightful, your love echos and builds.

Anonymous said...

This leaves me laughing! Well done.

My younger brother was 3 when our first niece was born. When she learned to talk it cracked us all up that he tried to get her to call him "uncle"!

Whitesnake said...

Beautifully put

Anonymous said...

It flows and is quite endearing.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Do you pronounce it as Ant or Ahntt?

polona said...

criteria change with age, you know!
enjoyed this one :)