Saturday, June 07, 2008

witchcraft

a silent horn was blowing from a distant land
tearing at her innards, wrenching it out.
when she woke up she was drenched in cold sweat
a chant escaped from her lips, the meaning as yet
unclear. her lilting voice carried outside
making her mother run towards her. that trance
like state was nothing anyone had seen before.

her skin so translucent, nose so feral- was enough
to scare anyone who had known her all her life
when she got up, her gown fell apart. unconscious
to her nakedness, she walked towards the centre
of the house, sitting herself ramrod straight
chanting in an unknown language of bygone era
aura of her bare body did not let anyone near her

a painfully shy girl who barely mixed with anyone
the only question within everyone's mind was
what had brought on this unexpected change

15 comments:

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

could be the start of a long story. where did this one come from, gautami?

anthonynorth said...

Now this has got to continue.

Anonymous said...

Great but it suddenly stopped! More please.

Stan Ski said...

I agree with the previous comments. The suden ending was the unexpected part.

Romeo Morningwood said...

Another witch had cast a 'couple buster' or 'retrieve a lover' spell NO wait..maybe someone hired another witch to get even.

She was supposed to walk straight over to the well in the centre of the village and jump in!

Tammy Brierly said...

Tami this was beautiful and I too would love more. ;)

I was commenting here as I got your SS comment...cool. ;)

Linda Jacobs said...

This is like the prologue to a novel! Captivating!

polona said...

how mysterious! like others, i would like to know more...

Anonymous said...

Now that's a cliffhanger if there was one !!

Brilliant start and your audience is clamoring for more !!

Hope you WILL do the expected ! :)


Thanks for stopping by.

rebecca said...

guatami, that was awesome...where did you ever extract this from? excellent...

Rambler said...

actually I am not sure if I got the whole intent of the poem...a dumb me I guess

gautami tripathy said...

I guess that too, rambler.

Infact, I find that you are very sarcastic and rude in commenting on most of my posts. I chose to simply ignore it till date.

I think if you don't like my blog, you stop visiting it.

Robin said...

Wonderful Gautami, is there more? This has harbingers of a cracking good tale.

Anonymous said...

Every now and then, an idea comes along that works really well. This one does. This is mystical.

I wish you well.

~ Jeques

Anonymous said...

This is quite eerie. I like the clear images it paints.