Friday, March 14, 2008

The books I would write---Sunday Scribblings

First my books should be set in some exotic place, that is unknown, unexplored places. Those would be about real life adventures or pertain to life as much as they can. No heroes or heroines but characters which are well developed, normal and balanced. They should be able to cry at the their trials and tribulations. There would not be fairy tale endings as real life is seldom that way.

I would make use of symbolism. My books would show not tell. Historical background along with geographical ones should be given in some detail in the beginning. My book would not contain pages and pages of boring philosophy or speeches. However, those might contain zen like verses. After all, I
write poetry!

If death is inevitable, I would not hesitate to show it. I would like my characters to have intersting, meaningful names. Sex scenes would not be explicit. I would rather imply rather than fill pages with all kinds of sex, kinky or otherwise! In a way, it would all be in your mind. My books would not degrade women in any manner. Family ties would be strong.

I would write books which are near to nature and all things in it. No fantasy stuff for me. Let's leave magical realism to people like Gaiman! Those won't be very dark and pessimistic. I do not think life is dark. So that would reflect in my books. My characters would learn from their mistakes and march ahead. Of course, we would need a villain. With out that a book disintegrates. It might be in the form a human, nature or any other adversity.

Wishful thinking, is it not?

On second thoughts, I would prefer writing travelogues, about places, people and the idiosyncrasies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday Scribblings has a medley party this week named Smorgasbord! Check it out! Is it any wonder, I chose the above topic?

40 comments:

Rob Kistner said...

A very captivating post. It stirred my wanderlust... ;)

Shammi said...

Sounds like a recipe for the perfect book. :) Go on, write on!

Anonymous said...

Great post! Time you wrote tat book I tink. As for your last sentence,I entirely agree with you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a best seller - I'll pre-order now please! Great post ;)

nonizamboni said...

My kind of book. . .I'll be the first in line when it comes out!

Anonymous said...

Have you started this?! It will be wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for my copy. :)

Rose

xo

sage said...

I would love to read your book--whether the novel or the travelogue!

Sherry said...

I look forward to reading your book(s) -- whatever you choose to write!!

floots said...

please miss
can i be a villain in your book miss
aw please miss
miss miss
can i :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

It doesn't have to be wishful thinking, you know.

I'm going to post my Scribbling later today, and I've got another for Writer's Island, too.

It's a busy fiction weekend at my place! Whee!

Devil Mood said...

And why not?
So you should, I like your intentions, that's gotta count for something.
Travelogues are very appealing because it means we'd have to travel ourselves, right?

GoGo said...

very nice. i've missed your writing.

~GoGo

Anonymous said...

What's stopping you? Write away! You could merge all of your ideas, and have your characters travel to exotic places around the world.

Granny Smith said...

I'm one of your fans who is hoping that you will write that book. Count this as a pre-order!

Robin said...

I'd love to read a

Lucy said...

everything you describe sounds exactly like the kind of book I keep looking to read, but cannot find. When you finally put it together... I think you will have no trouble selling many copies!

anthonynorth said...

Good thoughts. The 'villain' aspect, though, is a strange reality. Have you noticed how the best characters in fiction are flawed or villains?
The nice guy is, unfortunately, a bore. It is to be hoped that life doesn't reflect fiction too much :-)

Gemma Wiseman said...

The human being is indeed an enigma. We work on quests for happiness and all things right in our lives, yet we can't stand reading about such things for too long. We need the adversary to make life an interesting pot porri of choices and challenges!

Great post!

Gemma

Pirate Princess said...

Sounds fabulous. Nice to meet someone who would rather imply sex than give every detail - I think it's sexier that way. :) But travelogs are good too.

PS
I love sharing ideas.... ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! Although I enjoy reading fiction I definitely prefer writing about real life!

January said...

The best books tend to show not tell.

So, when are you going to write this book? Can't wait to read it.

paisley said...

some how,, i would have imagined you to say exactly this... very nice write....

Lilibeth said...

I would read your book. And I would read many many others. I like a smorgasborg of writing. But, just as there are some foods I loathe, there are some types of books I would avoid--fried grasshopper and creepy worm genres.

a mouthy irish woman? ridiculous! said...

and i would read each and every one.

Macie said...

Not wishful thinking and with a setting in nature, you could pull out a lot of symbolism!

aMus said...

I've been reading your posts for quite some time now....and i wonder, really wonder

why wishful thinking?

hey..let's see that book...:)

Giggles said...

Sounds like the perfect book to me!!! Love those idiosyncrasies...makes for great comedy!

rel said...

gautami,
Please, I want to be first to know when your book is published, and if you would be so kind....an autographed copy? ;)
rel

P.S. the cinnamon tea is scrumptious! Thanks.
rel

Anonymous said...

very rooted...like you!

Sian said...

Sounds like a good book to be :)

Tumblewords: said...

I would guess you have enough material for a book or more than one. When will you publish?

Jon said...

Sounds like the perfect book - perfectly written.

Shari said...

I should have done this writing prompt. Instead, I did "Dear Diary." It sounds like you are already to write a book. I love the fact that women won't be degraded and family ties would be strong.

Anonymous said...

Sound like just the book I need today! Get to work!

Heather said...

Sounds like a book I'd love to read! Have at it! ;o)

Thanks for stopping by for my fabric smorgasbord!

Jack Greening said...

Thanks for visiting Gautami. I challenge you to write a story that includes all the things you would not write about. Don't post just write it for you. You may be surprised at the result.

DJPare said...

I wish you much travel! And hope that you write both kinds of books!

gkgirl said...

very interesting!

ChefDruck said...

I like the thought of an exotic place that has been undiscovered. Write more about that please!