Sunday, March 09, 2008

nowhereland becomes neverland----Read Write Poem/Monday Poetry Train


it is truly a big circular mess
closed place feels so claustrophobic
eating becomes some kind of chore
as if chewing never ending leather

eyes shut tight, teeth clenched
I try to gain control over my senses
bile rising in my throat don't help
nails dig holes into my sweaty palm

nowhereland becomes neverland
within my frightened mind
I steal a glance to my gold watch
times seems to have let me down

was it minutes ago I got into the plane
why do I torture myself this way
nonetheless, did I really have a choice
there was no other way I could make it

a loud announcement fully wakes me up
I am sitting in the visitor's lounge-
your flight has arrived. I see you emerge
running, I hug you close to myself

"forgetting the nightmarish day dream"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, I am not afraid of flying. However, I do have weird dreams sometimes, which merge into one another. This has been playing in my mind. I kind of made it into a story, which might not make nuch sense.

Don't forget to ride the
Poetry Train...

20 comments:

Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D. said...

Powerful dreams, I think. To be listened to. It helps writing poems about dreams...I did that for a while and it adds to our insight about the dream. Hope you're well.

polona said...

i think that is a good way of dealing with disturbing dreams.
i can somehow relate to this as i can't stand suspense.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I like this, G. It really makes me feel what the narrator's feeling, and while I don't have a fear of flying, I can certainly understand someone who does.

I particularly like the never-ending leather. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Strange dreams.

I understand where this comes from, though.

Jill said...

Even if you are not afraid of flight, Gautami,(and I don't think I am too), you have probably really capture the feeling of it! Simple descrive pure panic!

Danika Dinsmore said...

There must be a dream theme going on here, just flew in from Art Predator.

I laughed when I read your first lines "it is truly a big circular mess" - that's how I feel about my life sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Interesting take on the dream. I wouldn't have guessed it was about flying.

Rose

xo

Anonymous said...

you've done well in describing your dream. sounds so vivid and real.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I like how it ends up in the airport visitor's lounge. Only a crowded doctor's office can compete with waiting at an airport to make time feel claustrophobic and at a standstill.

Anonymous said...

Dream or not, you turned your poem into a compelling story. Tightly written.

Cassiopeia Rises said...

Very very powerful poem. Your images strike fear deep within me. All you had to add was that this was Oceanic flight 816 and I would have died. Well done Tami.

love-Melanie-bd

Joy Renee said...

this describes exquisitely just how I feel in crowds.

Linda Jacobs said...

This is it! Yes, you captured the feeling so well! Excellent poem!

anthonynorth said...

A powerful interpretation. You certainly flew writing this.

Ann said...

Wonderful poem. Very descriptive.

Macie said...

This had such a great feel . . . it made me feel the confusion of dreams.

Thank you so much for visiting. I've come to really, really enjoy your poetry and work here. You have excellent voice and can really convey your message. I'm going to put you on my blog roll in hopes that others can get just as much enjoyment.

chicklegirl said...

The ending surprised me! Nice twist. The imagery of the physical sensations (bile, sweaty palms) made me feel it like it was happening to me--and I enjoy flying. Very good.

Tammy Brierly said...

Daydreaming can be just as weird as any dream. I do it all the time. :)

WH said...

Very nice poem! I really enjoyed it!

totomai said...

well i am afraid of flying and i dont think i can overcome it. ironic but i do fly frequently hhe.

you have captured the feelings i often feel :-)