Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas for a Hindu----3WW



Curious
Eventually
Shower

I have been tagged by Smiler to do the Hoopla!

The Rules of the Hoopla
1. List 12 random things about yourself that have to do with Christmas.
2. Please refer to it as ‘hoopla’ and not the dreaded ‘m’-word.
3. You have to specifically tag people when you are done. None of this “if you’re reading this, consider yourself tagged” stuff is allowed…then nobody ends up actually doing it. The number of people who you tag is really up to you — but the more, the merrier to get this ‘hoopla’ circulating through the Blog-o-sphere.
4. Don't forget to link back to the person who tagged you.
5. Please try to do it as quickly as possible. The Christmas season will be over before we know it.

Here I go combining the 3WW too!

# When I was younger, I wished to learn more about Christmas. Eventually, my mom told me all about it. She was brought up in a place where there were many Christian Missionaries and she had many Christian friends. She even possessed a very old Bible, which now belongs to me. She gave it to me long to me back.

# I love plum cakes with lots of nuts. I always get it for Christmas.

# I do go out on Christmas day. Just to hang out or window-shopping.

# I like playing Santa for my nephews and nieces. They give me broad hints what gifts they wish for and I get all those gifts which their parents will not buy for them! I shower my love by spoiling them rotten!

# I get a small artificial Christmas tree and decorate it with tiny stars. My mom too helps me.

# In 2001, we celebrated Christmas in Nainital. My dad was alive then. We had gone there for a holiday and it was truly fun. I cherish those memories.

# Our winter break of ten days starts from Christmas, so we look forward to it!

# Once I did go and attend the Mass, as I was curious. I really enjoyed the experience. .

# I like listening to Christmas songs and read Christmas books!

# Since I started blogging, the Christmas spirit truly gets into me. Reading about other people’s traditions teaches me so much.

# One more thing I look forward towards this season is that most of my friends who are staying overseas come to visit India. This is the best time of the year to visit!

# Christmas means family re-unions. I like that aspect of it too. I do try to catch up with family. We all go out together for lunch or dinner.

# I still have a Christmas card I received from one of my naughtiest students 16 years back. It is handmade and therefore priceless!

Now to tag a few for this Hoopla! In alphabetical order!

Bone
Brian
Don Iannone
dsnake1
floots
homo escapeons
polona
sage
Steve
tikkis
trinitystar
tumblewords
within without

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Christmas is an infectious Holiday that is difficult not to get into the spirit of. I love all of the aspects you listed.

TC said...

Spoiling nieces and nephews is the best thing ever :) Glad you get to do it!

spentrails said...

How true that we learn so much about other people's customs through reading their blogs. I like this world. :)

Danika Dinsmore said...

Merry Christmas. I don't believe I've ever had plum pudding, actually. I did make a pumpkin pie from scratch yesterday. Mmmmmm.

#1 is great! Haha!

Anonymous said...

Hoopla - I like the word but meme never sounded boring to me but that's just me.

I like that you have a small tree for Christmas - I might even get one for next year.

Have a wonderful week.

polona said...

haha... i'll see what i can do about it but if i do, i'm going to cheat for sure :)

Smiler said...

Wow, I'm actually surprised that Christmas is featured to that extent in your life. I was almost expecting you to tell me about Hindu traditions that you happen to do around the same time. This is what I love about these things - it breaks preconceived notions we may have about people and different cultures. And plum pudding is absolutely delicious. Yum!

Thanks for playing along! :-)

Beau Brackish said...

Very interesting perspective. It seems like a difficult holiday to escape no matter where you live. When I was in China two Decembers ago, I watched the hotel staff work through the night decorating the big Xmas tree down in the lobby. It was a fascinating site to behold.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Interesting things about you and Christmas....I'm not sure I could think of twewlve things about me and Christmas...LOL! Well, maybe I could, but I don't think thet will be very interesting....!
I wish you a Very Very Happy New Year, Gautami....May 2008 be a wonderfui year for you!

Tinker said...

It's always interesting to see how (or whether) certain holidays are celebrated in other countries.
Happy holidays to you, Gautami - in whatever way you spend them!

linda may said...

Merry Christmas,
I enjoyed reading about your christmas and how nice you carry on the family memories, sharing and keeping them alive as in your post about your Dad a few days ago. I lost my Dad 6 yrs ago now and think about him every day, proof he is still with me in some way.
Linda

Tikkis said...

I also wrote something, (for you!)

Anonymous said...

I love the name you gave for the subject, strange that I used a similar name recently one of my posts, we celebrated 'xmas with a twist' for the very first time...as we thought it would be fun for our daughter, we bought ourselves a tree and decorated and everything...and we intend to carry on this new tradition every year - guess the name we gave to this tradition - 'Hindu-Christmas' :)


Thanks Gautami, here's wishing you a wonderful and lovely new year ahead, I am glad we got to meet in this cyber world, happy 2008.

Thanks
UL

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about Christmas and many things since I began blogging. The world has truly become a smaller more wonderful place to me

I have one niece and one goddaughter and spoil them both incredibly

Tumblewords: said...

Nice post! Lots to learn here...

little wing writer said...

i so enjoyed reading how you celebrate christmas holidays...

Romeo Morningwood said...

1) Despite being an agnostic history buff I keep my personal opinions to myself around true believers during the holiday gatherings.
2) I don't drink alcohol to make sure that I don't blow my first rule.
3) I watch about 2 movies a day during the week.
4) I never go out on Boxing Day to fight the throngs of crazy people at the malls.
5) I gain about 5 pounds from drinking Eggnog.
6) I love reading the year end reviews.
7) My wife loves decorating the house and tree and it always looks beautiful.
8) We snack all week and hardly ever cook a full meal.
9) I am so grateful that I no longer attend any religious services.
10) The whole commercial blitzkrieg sickens me and I am trying to convince everyone in my extended family to STOP buying gifts and just visit...gaining popularity.
11) I realise how many people are alone and depressed at this time of year..I know that I am lucky.
12) The whole christmas thing is a meatphor for how bankrupt our culture is and I try to imagine a way of getting people to be 'nice' to each other for the other 364 days of the year.

Anonymous said...

I love finding out how others spend the holidays!! hope yours were/are great this year!!!

storyteller said...

I found your Christmas "Hoopla" interesting, and I like to read of your Hindu traditions in similar fashion. Might you consider sharing those memories as well in such a format?
Hugs and blessings,

polona said...

got it up.

WithinWithout said...

Sorry, Gautami, I'm almost ready to take my Christmas tree down, I realize I'm late...I'm not great at these tagging things, but:

1. My first name is CHRIS(tmas).
2. Because I'm the oldest of six siblings, I always had to open my presents last as a kid (boo-hoo).
3. I used to dress up as Santa every year for my nieces and nephews.
4. I hate lineups...and the worst lineups of all are lineups at the mall for your kids to sit on Santa's knee...
5. I always helped decorating the tree and still enjoy it...somewhat...
6. The mistletoe is my favourite Christmas thingy...
7. I used to love the feeling of going to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve.

Sorry, Gautami, that's about it...I don't have 12 in me on New Year's Eve...